My Favorite Quotes: 1

I collect quotes. I have a stack of them on my desk, torn mostly from the "Wit & Wisdom" section of THE WEEK magazine and from Campbell Geeslin's "Along Publishers Row" in the Authors Guild Bulletin. For a while, I tried to incorporate quotes regularly into my labor-of-love website, Waterspell.net. But that got to be too time-consuming. Now that I have a blog, I'll just put them here for others to enjoy en masse.


"Listen carefully to first criticism of your work. Note carefully just what it is about your work that the critics don't like--then cultivate it. That's the part of your work that's individual and worth keeping." --Jean Cocteau


"What's publishing all about? If it isn't about what you like and believe in, you might as well manufacture sausages." --Robert Giroux


"One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." --Carl Sandburg


"Sometimes you have to look reality in the eye, and deny it." --Garrison Keillor


"Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties." --Psychologist Erich Fromm


"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." --Albert Einstein


"Originality and a feeling of one's own dignity are achieved only through work and struggle." --Fyodor Dostoyevsky


"To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness." --Bertrand Russell


"There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way." --Christopher Morley


"Individuality is freedom lived." --John Dos Passos


"Tradition is a guide and not a jailer." --W. Somerset Maugham


"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." --Henry Ford


"There is a crack in everything: that's how the light gets in." --Leonard Cohen


"What is wanted is not the will to believe, but the will to find out, which is the exact opposite." --Bertrand Russell


"What we call progress is the exchange of one nuisance for another nuisance." --Havelock Ellis


"First e-mail. Then instant message. Then MySpace. Then Facebook. Then LinkedIn. Then Twitter. It's not enough anymore to 'Just do it.' Now we have to tell everyone when we are doing it, where we are doing it, and why we are doing it. Instead of spending hours trying to add to the number of friends on Facebook or followers on Twitter, I've decided to spend that time on the handful of people I really care about. I write them real letters. I want to know if they are happy in their marriages; in their careers. If they're not, or if they are sick, I want to know if there is something I can do to help. Meaningful friendships require quality time. Not just a Tweet." --Mark McKinnon in TheDailybeast.com

(For more like these: My Favorite Quotes: 2)


No comments:

Post a Comment